Emergencies and the French services.

To be honest, if you fall off your bike the first car to pass will stop and organise everything – I've never known an exception


The most important telephone number is '18'. This will get you through to the 'Pompiers' or fire service – they are also the paramedics and in the case of any accident or emergency they will co-ordinate everything. The other essential is 112 which is the Europe-wide emergency service – it'll be slower but you will be able to talk to someone in English. The Ambulance service (SAMU) is 15 (but as above '18' will do the job) and the Police '17'.

Obviously you need holiday insurance to cover you for any accident or emergency (read the small print!!!) and European citizens must obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC – free see http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx ).

A Small Favour

We hope you've enjoyed reading this short article and will go on to read many more. This website exists both as an information hub for cyclists – (and we offer free advice by email) - but also as a commercial site to sell our cycling holidays. For 27 years we've been the only company in the world offering fully equipped cycle camping holidays and now also offer hotel based holiday and even run our local campsite which is uniquely well geared up for passing cycletourists.

If you like what we do and want us to continue please help by sharing our Facebook page, telling your friends or linking to www.bretonbikes.com on any site you run. Without your support we'd not be here...